2010 Hot Springs Quarter
The 2010 Hot Springs National Park Quarter is the first in a new 56 coin series to feature one national park or other national site from each state, Washington D.C. and the five U.S. territories.
As the Hot Springs area has the distinction of being the first land set aside by the national government as a 'reservation' for the continued public use in 1832, it was the first coin to be issued in the new series. The United States Mint released it into circulation on Monday, April 19, 2010, and held a special ceremonial launch on the following day, April 20, 2010, which coincided with the park's 178th anniversary.
Hot Springs National Park is located in the state of Arkansas and features many thermal springs used for centuries by man as therapeutic devices. The warm waters are still used today, managed by the Park Service, in bathhouses in the Hot Springs area.
Hot Springs National Park Quarter Design
Obverse design: John Flanagan's portrait of George Washington (modified by William Cousins) is featured on the obverse. Also seen are the inscriptions "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "QUARTER DOLLAR," "LIBERTY", "IN GOD WE TRUST" and the mintmark.
Reverse design: The reverse design, by Don Everhart, depicts the facade of the Hot Springs National Park headquarters building with a thermal spring fountain in the foreground. The headquarters was built in the Spanish colonial revival style and completed in 1936. The National Park Service emblem is featured to the right of the door. Inscriptions include "HOT SPRINGS," "ARKANSAS," "2010" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." The coin was sculpted by Joseph Menna.
The following four line art images were the candidate designs or proposals considered before the final design was selected by U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner after receiving recommendations from U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy.
Quarter Specifications & Information
|eBay Featured Quarter Auctions